QQI (Quality and Qualifications Ireland) is an independent State agency responsible for promoting quality and accountability in education and training services in Ireland. It was established in 2012 by the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012.
The information leaflet QQI - Who we are and what we do provides an overview of QQI services and the organisations we work with.
QQI's role is to:
• promote, maintain and develop the Irish National Framework
of Qualifications (NFQ), a 10-level framework for the development, recognition
and awarding of qualifications in Ireland;
• approve programmes offered at a variety of schools,
colleges and further and higher education and training institutions. These
programmes lead to qualifications (QQI awards) listed in the NFQ, which are
• regulate and promote the quality of programmes offered by
schools and colleges leading to qualifications in the NFQ for the benefit of
learners, employers and other interested parties;
• ensure that providers* offering national qualifications
provide a positive, high-quality experience to international learners coming to
study in Ireland. We will do this by authorising the International Education
• provide academic advice on the recognition of foreign
qualifications in Ireland through a service called NARIC Ireland – the National
Academic Recognition Information Centre.
We also provide advice on the recognition of Irish qualifications
• inform the public about quality assured education and
training programmes and qualifications through a database of programmes and a
register of providers;
• manage a national scheme for the quality assurance of
English language services (Accreditation and Coordination of English Language
Services - ACELS);
• advise the Minister for Education and Skills about
national policy on quality assurance and improvement in education and training.
* Provider refers to any college or institution
Welcome from the CEO
Vision, Mission, Values and Goals
Planning and Reporting
Public Submissions & Responses
Strategy Statement 2019 – 2021